The terms under which the Championship has been played have naturally varied slightly as the Club grew. In 1894, 1895 and 1896 it was played on a knock-out basis over 54 holes (6 rounds) but in 1897 it was played over 36 holes, and until 1902 these 36 holes had to be continuous with no stopping for lunch. From 1903 an interval for lunch was permitted after the first 18 holes. The early Championships were played of course at Happy Valley and the first time the competition was held at Fanling was 1914. The Club and Junior Championships now follow the same format with the best 16 qualifiers going into the match play rounds.
Jasper Clark Cup
Jasper Clark won the first Club Championship to be held at Fanling in 1914. Despite being lame he volunteered for service with the Forces in 1915 and was killed not very long afterwards in France. His widow presented the Cup in his memory in 1919 with a request that it be played for as close to St. Andrew’s Day as the Committee might arrange. This is the premier stroke play competition of the Club and is played over all 54 holes at Fanling. The Old on Saturday is followed by the New and Eden on the Sunday.
This competition was inaugurated in 1921 and prizes were presented by Messrs H. Gedge and G. M. Young. This competition is limited to members having handicaps of 10 and over. A qualifying Medal round of 36 holes played using both the Old and the New Courses with the best 16 scorers to play off on match play over 18 holes with the final pair playing over 36 holes.
Deep Water Bay Championship
A Championship of the minor course was introduced in 1922 at Happy Valley, the competition being over 36 holes medal play off scratch. Since the war when Happy Valley was given up the Championship has been played at Deep Water Bay.
The Captain’s Cup was first played for in 1892. Traditionally the Captain has a free choice as to what his prize will be. Qualifying rounds are played monthly and a total of 16 qualifiers then compete in matchplay.
The American Cup was first presented by a group of Club members from the United States. Originally played for between a team of American members and a team from “The Rest”, that was changed to an 18-hole medal competition on the Old Course, as near as possible to July 4.
The Lusitania Cup was first presented by Portuguese members. Competition over 36 holes (18 on the New and 18 on the Old) against bogey. The format was changed in recent years to an 18-hole bogey.
The Chinese Cup was first presented by Chinese members. A 36-hole Stableford competition. In 1966 it attracted a record entry for any Club event of more than 160.
Presented in 1957 by Standard Sing Tao Newspapers. Teams of four, representing the country of their origin, play for a magnificent silver bowl.
Shanghai Visitors’ Cup
The Shanghai Visitors’ Cup was first presented by visiting members of The Shanghai Golf Club in 1926. Originally a 36-hole medal competition, the format was changed in recent years to an 18-hole fourball event.
E.J.R. Mitchell Cup
The E.J.R. Mitchell Cup, presented by The British Legion, was named after their Chairman on the occasion of his retirement from the Colony. This was originally a fourball Stableford tournament played on the afternoon of Remembrance Day. In 1975 it became an 18-hole Greensome, but is still played on Remembrance Sunday.
G.M. Young Cup
This Cup was first presented by Mr. Young (Club Captain in 1920). Competed for by teams from local banks or commercial firms. This match-play competition is singles in the morning, followed by fourballs in the afternoon.
The Baffy Spoon was first presented by The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrew’s to commemorate the Club’s Diamond Jubilee in 1949 and made about 80 years previously by the clubmakers at St Andrew’s. It was decided that there should be an annual 36-hole foursomes bogey competition. The winner’s ball is hung from the shaft of the Baffy Spoon.